The UT Austin College of Pharmacy Preceptor Orientation online modules program was developed to provide new and seasoned UT Austin College of Pharmacy preceptors with critical information needed to manage a pharmacy student through their intern experiences. The modules provide an overview of the management and process of the internship experience including modules on how to get started as a preceptor, an overview of the internship course materials, processes, and syllabus, as well as information on how to create an orientation for the intern and how to evaluate the experience. Also included in this program are links and information on how to use the UT Austin College of Pharmacy online resources and management systems.
This program includes 6 online modules. Each module serves as a prerequisite for the following module. Work through the modules one at a time. Each module includes a post-test and evaluation that must be completed before you may move on to the next module.
Completion of all six modules provides three (3) hours of continuing education credit. This series meets the requirement for preceptor education and training in Texas.
Learning Objectives for this Serise are:
- Describe the process for application to become a UT Austin preceptor
- Create a checklist with important items to prepare for a student intern
- Prepare on orientation outline that covers suggested elements as well as items unique to the rotation site.
- Describe the student evaluation process
Upon completion of each module, you will then be able to complete the final evaluation. Only completion of the final evaluation will result in the processing and awarding of CPE Credits.
Note: This program is for UT Austin College of Pharmacy preceptors or preceptor applicants only.
The information provided in these modules would not be useful for a preceptor who works with students from another college of pharmacy. If you are a preceptor looking for precepting content, please see the UT Austin College of Pharmacy Online Precepting website here
where you will find several free online precepting CE courses that are open to all Texas preceptors regardless of college association.
SPECIAL NOTES AS YOU BEGIN:
- Remember, these modules are specific to the University of Texas at Austin experiential program, and cover “entry-level” type skills.
- As of June 2016, links to key websites have changed. Every attempt has been made to update the slides to reflect the changes. If a link does not work, please check with the Experiential Office.
- These modules were designed for those who are approved as preceptor faculty and have access to PhIRST. If you do not have access to PhIRST, simply follow along on the slides, and you should be able to see everything.
Before you get started with any of the core modules, please log into PhIRST at:
and view the short videos covering basics regarding evaluations, hour sheets, and Drug Related Problem Forms. You may access these videos from the left menu once in PhIRST. If you click on the video and for some reason you get an error message, right-click (this works for most systems) and download the video to your desktop. It should play then.
Again, you should view this video before starting any of the core modules, but certainly before the upcoming module “Navigating Electronic Resources”, available starting the week of June 13. We do touch on aspects of PhIRST throughout most if not all of the core modules. If you cannot access the videos, I’ll send you links within the next week to do so—e-mail Jennifer Ridings-Myhra
to let me know you need them.